The Activist Institute
- is committed to dismanting oppression within each Institute and through our collective work as activists.
- believes that dialogue, discussion, and respectful communication are necessary in order to build effective anti-oppression practices within the progressive movement.
- values the experiences of its participants and the sharing of these experiences towards greater understanding.
- is dedicated to providing safe spaces for individuals to discuss experiences with oppression.
- believes developing anti-oppression practices is life-long work and requires a life-long commitment.
- creates frequent opportunities for people to develop skills to communicate about oppression.
- creates ground rules and safe space guidelines to ensure a comfortable living environment for all of their residents.
- acknowledges that anti oppression work tackles complex issues and needs adequate time and space.
- respects and celebrates the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our participants.